Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Extendo Holiday

More Christmas pictures! Celebrating at my parents, it was one of the only days warm enough to enjoy being outside. 
I love the nights we make “mashed potatoes.” While the kids are lapping them down, they have absolutely no idea they are actually eating a head of cauliflower. This is the only secret ingredient we use cooking.  Tom is the master, covering the top of the pan with sliced potatoes. We don’t typically deceive our children about anything; however this is a matter of heath. I thought our plan was foiled when Tom was called out for work leaving me to complete the process. Eli came in the kitchen rambling as he does about a fact he’d learned as I said, “I’ve got something hot! Stay in the living room,” despite the fact that he’s 11 and knows to stay away.


Uncle Jason (my brother) was such a good sport to keep pushing me on the sled!

This is the 19th day of Christmas break. Can you tell I’m feeling crazy? Sidney has finally succumbed to the lack of routine with a couple of meltdowns while the days drag on. We are experiencing the “polar vortex” discussed everywhere on the news. Mother Nature is having her way with the weather which doesn’t allow for time outside. This is vital for Sidney. Yesterday morning I picked up my phone to see it was -18 outside. The complete opposite of his sister, Eli is elated to have the additional time on break from school.
Tromping around the yard with my cousin Finn and the neighbor dog.
Speaking of school, we had a hard conversation with Eli the other night. We are looking at sending him to public school next year. He’s attended our small private Catholic school since kindergarten, so starting in 7th grade when everyone else in our community goes to the building for 7-1th grade, we would like him to go at the same time as the other kids. 
I love this glazed over look on my nephews face. Ah the magic of Christmas
Yesterday during Sunday School one of the kids in our class told him, “But you’ll be with all your friends.” Awesome! This is exactly what he needed to hear. Actually he thought of getting an iPad for his own use was also enticing. Obviously our decision will be based on much more than technology. I can’t tell what he’s thinking. Of course that’s nothing new. Part of me thinks, he wants to make the decision to move over, but it’s a really scary thing to think about. I’m sure he would just love knowing this was on here for all the world read. Of course, he might be more upset about the cauliflower. 

No comments: